About Me

My photo
I received teaching and engineering degrees and have traveled extensively, living ten years outside the US. I moved from the big city of Houston to a small sleepy community in North Carolina, which has been a tremendous change and a great inspiration for my novels, full of the local color. My time has been filled with writing and helping to physically construct three additions to our former farmhouse. I have a great view of the mountains ten miles away across the broad valley and the sunsets are breathtaking. I am an avid reader of all kinds of mystery and contemporary fiction.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Statues of Easter Island or How to Move a Head



Statues of Easter Island or How to Move a Head

Today I read an article on Yahoo about how the tall statues on Easter Island were transported to their resting places. One theory says that the tall maoi statues, over 30 feet tall, were transported by ropes and by walking the statues to their resting places. Another was that the statues were laid in a cart and moved that way.

When I was on Rapa Nui or Easter Island, all I know is that I was amazed at the size of all the statues. They came in all sizes and looked differently. The tallest was lying down which sort of give one the impression that it was just dropped into place and no one could lift it. The statues were everywhere, lying on the hillsides and on the plains. It was something I remembered reading about as a child and finally was able to see in real life. It was amazing. Or, as Cliff Robertson said in the movie "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid," "it's a wonderment."


No comments:

Post a Comment