About Me

My photo
I received teaching and engineering degrees and have traveled extensively, living ten years outside the US. I moved from the big city of Houston to a small sleepy community in North Carolina, which has been a tremendous change and a great inspiration for my novels, full of the local color. My time has been filled with writing and helping to physically construct three additions to our former farmhouse. I have a great view of the mountains ten miles away across the broad valley and the sunsets are breathtaking. I am an avid reader of all kinds of mystery and contemporary fiction.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Nightmares - Reality vs. Fantasy

Nightmares - Reality vs. Fantasy

Many times dreams transcend fantasy and reality and become almost living nightmares. When nightmares become scary is when reality merges with the fantasies from the past and the present. The woman sleuth in my Rachel Christie mystery series has such a problem. Her nightmares are a result of her experiences in the past and in the present. In my first book Murder by the Clock she has nightmares concerning the death of her fiance and in my second book Murder in Emerald Hills her nightmares from her past work experiences collide with her present investigation.

Why people have nightmares have been attributed to many things. Some say that bad movies or bad experiences. One of my favorite reasons was, given to me as a young child, eating cheese before bedtime. Another reason can be medication. Too much or too little thyroid medication can trigger nightmares that seem real.

Last night I had such a dream as in Murder in Emerald Hills and I will relate that in the next book I write. It becomes scary when, after having that nightmare, you awaken and are not quite awake and feel that it is actually happening. People who write some novels and movies must have some weird horrible dreams. I can relate to that. Putting it on paper for me has to be as soon as possible, otherwise, I will forget it. And that, believe me, is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment