About Me

My photo
I received teaching and engineering degrees and have traveled extensively, living ten years outside the US. I moved from the big city of Houston to a small sleepy community in North Carolina, which has been a tremendous change and a great inspiration for my novels, full of the local color. My time has been filled with writing and helping to physically construct three additions to our former farmhouse. I have a great view of the mountains ten miles away across the broad valley and the sunsets are breathtaking. I am an avid reader of all kinds of mystery and contemporary fiction.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Rainy Days Are for the Birds







We have had so much rain in the past two months that now our rainfall for six and a half months equals the normal yearly total. In fact, this year we have had so much rain that any day when the sun shines for four hours is a good day to mow, even though the mower tires get covered with grass. Yesterday morning our neighbor had her lawn mowed and within the hour it rained over an inch, two more in the evening. Living in hot climates previously, I guess I got too used to seeing the sun for most of the year.





The rain did not deter the hummingbirds from getting out in the rain. As you can see, they fluffed their feathers and braved the wet conditions. This was not true of all the creatures. The turtle hightailed it to the bushes where he could protect himself, so truly rainy days are for the birds.



No comments:

Post a Comment