About Me

My photo
I received teaching and engineering degrees and have traveled extensively, living ten years outside the US. I moved from the big city of Houston to a small sleepy community in North Carolina, which has been a tremendous change and a great inspiration for my novels, full of the local color. My time has been filled with writing and helping to physically construct three additions to our former farmhouse. I have a great view of the mountains ten miles away across the broad valley and the sunsets are breathtaking. I am an avid reader of all kinds of mystery and contemporary fiction.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Renovation Can Be Detrimental to Your Health

Renovation Can Be Detrimental to Your Health

We have been renovating our house for the past ten years. Yes, that's right, ten years. It never seems to end. And only four or five years left. Almost finished.

Since starting the renovation, I have almost knocked myself out several times by hitting my head on cabinets or fireplace openings. I have fallen off ladders, resulting in various cuts, bruises and sprains. Some required several trips to the doctors.

All of these accidents have probably just been normal occurrences or maybe I'm just a klutz. More likely the latter. It makes me wonder about the action-packed novels that I have read and written where people are knocked unconscious with guns and other things. Today was the worst knock I've had to the top of the head. I continued to work, but felt like my legs would give way and that I might collapse at any minute. I'm a bleeder so it took about fifteen minutes to stop the bleeding and now I feel like a Conehead with the large bump on the top of my head.

At least, now I know what the feeling must be like before losing consciousness. All I can say is my parents were right when they said I had a hard head.

After all the suffering, the fireplace turned out great!



No comments:

Post a Comment